Updating IRS Laptops
On IRS laptops, both the Windows 7 Operating System and Symantic anti-virus protection need to be updated. To update the software, follow these procedures.
Updating Windows 7
Updating Symantic (security) Software
- Click on the Windows Start icon at the lower left corner of the desktop.
- Select All Programs, then select Windows update.
- In the left column, select Check for updates. The check will occur and notify the user how many updates are available.
- Follow the links to select the update(s) to install, then click on the Install button.
NOTE: When selecting the updates to install, choose only the Critical and Important updates. Optional updates do not need to be installed.
- Check the screen once in a while to know when the process is complete.
- When complete, close the update window. Occasionally a reboot will be required. If prompted, reboot the laptop so the update(s) will be implemented immediately.
- Right-click on the gold shield icon in the System Tray.
- Select Open Symantic Endpoint Protection.
- Answer Yes to "Do you want to allow...."
- If the resulting window has a green bar , the software is current.
If the resulting window has an orange bar , an update is needed. Select Fix to update. Click on 'OK' in the small popup window. The orange bar will turn green when the update is complete.
NOTE: If the 'Fix' button is not immediately visible, wait for it. If the bar is orange, the 'Fix' button will eventually appear.
- end -